The hilarious Chris of Saw My Face Apart dropped me a line today with some food suggestions that will definitely help out the sawed jaw gang:
– You can have a cheeseburger after surgery. This was after my SARPE, though, so I wasn’t banded shut. I don’t think it would be able to pass through a syringe 😦
– Pineapple may not blend well but it’s great for two reasons — 1) high glycemic index = good calories 2) helps keep swelling down. So drink plenty of pineapple juice.
– Instead of Ensure or something like it I went straight for the industrial strength weight gainer. I used a product called CytoGainer. It’s a high calorie/high protein mass builder that is very tasty. Versatile, too. Between the vanilla and banana flavors I came up with a whole menu of shakes. For those that would rather stay away from processed stuff like that, coconut milk is super for boosting calorie intake.
– Clam chowder was one of my favorites after I was banded shut. It blends easily and smoothly so it works in the syringe without too much watering down, and is pretty high calorie.
– Half of a Boston Crème Pie blended with some milk is a real treat. Just sayin.
That pie idea sounds wicked tasty!
Chris is right about pineapple. I’ve been reading a few blogs lately that recommend drinking pineapple juice before surgery, too, to get a head start on debruising. It’s probably too acidic for the first few days post-surgery, but it would be good after that. My boyfriend likes to drink a glass of half-pineapple, half-orange juice in the morning. That’s delicious.
I have continued to eat foods that I won’t be eating for a while. Today, I had a giant cut-up apple. This weekend, I’ll be tasting two burgers as part of a two-restaurant showdown. Mmm, surgery is tasty.